The CUSM Office of Financial Aid
The CUSM Office of Financial Aid is committed to offering financial aid alternatives and solutions to student financial needs toward medical school. Financial assistance programs include federal, private, and institutional assistance programs.
We are pending approval for our institution to participate in VA Benefits for veterans and veteran-dependent students.
Talk to a Financial Aid Staff Member
Financial Aid team members are available for in-person or online appointments. Team members can assist with FAFSA application assistance and a review of financial aid options. Don't hesitate to get in touch with the Financial Aid office.
Financial Aid Resources
The Association of American Medical Colleges offers the FIRST (Financial Information, Resources, Services, and Tools) program, which provides free informational resources. Whether you're thinking about how to afford medical school, applying for student loans, or determining your loan repayment options, you'll find unbiased, reliable guidance from FIRST.
Federal Financial Aid
Federal loans most often fall into these categories:
Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan – applied for using the Financial Aid Application; unsubsidized with a fixed interest rate of 7.048% (Loan Interest Rates as of 7/1/2023 - 06/30/2024 )
Federal Direct Graduate Plus Loan – applied for using the Financial Aid Application; unsubsidized with a fixed interest rate of 8.048% (Loan Interest Rates as of 7/1/2023 - 06/30/2024).
Federal Loan Quick Links
- FAFSA Application
- Federal School code: G42908
- Loan Repayment Calculator
- Applying for Financial Aid Guide
CUSM Private Loan Lenders
Important Notice: Federal student loans are available to most students regardless of income and provide various repayment options, including income-based repayment plans and loan forgiveness benefits, which other education loans are not required to provide.
Students considering student loans need to be aware of the differences between federal student loans and private student loans:
- Federal student loans are required by law to provide a range of flexible repayment options including, but not limited to, income-based and income-contingent repayment plans, as well as loan forgiveness benefits. Private lenders are not required to provide such options.
- Federal direct loans are available to most students regardless of income. Other qualification criteria do apply. For more information, please visit the Financial Aid Eligibility site.
- Private student loan lenders can offer variable interest rates that can change over time, depending on market conditions.
- Private loan interest rates may depend on the borrower's and/or cosigner's credit rating. Private loans may have additional fees.
- Students should contact the private student loan lender or the CUSM financial aid office if they have any questions about a private student loan.
Lender List available through FASTCHOICE
CUSM students may apply for scholarship opportunities if they are eligible and meet the requirements.
Contact the Office of Financial Aid if you have questions.
The Inland Empire Health Plan (IEHP) Health Care Scholarship Fund (HSF) is the health plan's partnership with local academic institutions to help remove the barrier of debt for medical students and develop a growing workforce of healthcare professionals to care for the Inland Empire's growing Medi-Cal population.
HPSP awards scholarships to students receiving education/training in a health care services discipline. Awards will be offered competitively and are exempt from Federal taxation. In exchange for the award, scholarship program participants agree to a service obligation in a VA health care facility.